Monday, November 24, 2008

THE Hello Kitty cake




...Again, I always bite more then I can chew! But oh, the results were so worth it! I wanted to make a very special cake for my step-daughter's 14th B-day. She loves Hello Kitty, and I must admit, the thing is cute in its own way. This was my first attempt at a decorated birthday cake and I took this project seriously, it HAD to be perfect. So, here I am driving for 1hr in a snow storm in rush hour to this cake decorating store. After paying for my supplies, I came to the conclusion that ordering the cake might have been the cheapest and easiest route...
I made the icing from scratch with loads of butter and icing sugar. The Cake store lady made me purchase icing whitening. It is suppose to make your butter cream bright white. Well, being the skeptic that I am, I decided to test it a small batch of my butter cream. It turned the icing NAVY BLUE!! At this point, the birthday party guess had started to arrive.. I decided to use the icing as is with a piping bag equiped with a small star. If you click on the picture, you will see the details. At the end, I could no longer feel my wrists and fingers from squeezing the pipping bag.
The result was fabulous, I think anyway. Upon presenting the cake to birthday girl, I was rewarded with the biggest smile and hug ever... all the pain & trouble vanished instantly!

No comments: